Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:14:11 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: EXIF inspector

several responses combined to save bandwidth...

On 08/23/12 08:38, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:00:08 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> For the photo folks --
>>
>> What do you use for inspecting EXIF data?
>> I've tried
>>    exif
>>    exiftags
>>    exifprobe
>> and none of them show the full compliment of tags present on my oly pen-ep3.
>> In particular, they omit most of the vendor specific stuff,
>> and they seem to display different parts of things, but not everything.
>
> I've been using exiv2 (port graphics/exiv2) which fits my needs.
> Here's an example of its output:
>
> 	% exiv2 cam/img_6842.jpg
> 	File name       : cam/img_6842.jpg
> 	File size       : 2887326 Bytes
> 	MIME type       : image/jpeg
> 	Image size      : 2816 x 2112
> 	Camera make     : Canon
> 	Camera model    : Canon PowerShot S3 IS
> 	Image timestamp : 2011:08:19 09:14:42
> 	Image number    : 120-6842
> 	Exposure time   : 1/50 s
> 	Aperture        : F2.7
> 	Exposure bias   : 0 EV
> 	Flash           : No, red-eye reduction
> 	Flash bias      : 0 EV
> 	Focal length    : 6.0 mm
> 	Subject distance: 68
> 	ISO speed       : 100
> 	Exposure mode   : Easy shooting (Auto)
> 	Metering mode   : Multi-segment
> 	Macro mode      : Off
> 	Image quality   : Fine
> 	Exif Resolution : 2816 x 2112
> 	White balance   : Auto
> 	Thumbnail       : image/jpeg, 5981 Bytes
> 	Copyright       :
> 	Exif comment    :
>
> See "man exiv2" for details. It's a really versatile program
> which can be excellently integrated into scripts.
>
> In case you need more info from a photo file, use the "strings"
> utility provided by the system and parse its output.

Thanks
This is rather weird.

I had tried exiv2 and concluded it did not report everything because on a
windows system I had previously used PhotoME to ascertain that the image
stabilization parameter for my camera was in a field whose tag name was
"ImageQuality3", and exiv2 does not report anything with "uality" in it.
However, I now see that it does report a string called "Exif.OlympusCs.ImageStabilization" of the same type with the corresponding
value.

Strings reports neither tag.
That makes sense, since exif tags are numerically encoded and not text,
so I don't think strings is particularly useful.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the choice of string to print
for a tag is probably a translation provided by the program, not the image file.
A strings on /usr/local/lib/libexiv2.so.10 shows:
  Image stabilization
  ImageStabilization
  Image Stabilization for the Sony DSLR-A100
  Image stabilization data
  Image Stabilization Data
  ImageStabilizationData
  Image Stabilization A100
  ImageStabilizationA100
  Digital Image Stabilization
and also specific tags for different camera manufacturers, e.g.
  Exif.OlympusCs.
etc.

bah --
  exif doesn't report all the tags

warren --
  thanks, I thought I tried p5-Image-ExifTool but in looking back at my notes
I have a thing that says "install ExifTool" and its not there so obviously I
didn't to that.  Will check it if exiv2 doesn't work out.

Gary