Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:46:35 -0500
From:      zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with software to run my APC UPS

Hi.

At 04:23 PM 7/8/02 +1000, Rob B wrote:
>At 15:08 8/07/2002, zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu sent this up the stick:
>>The serial connection on the back of the computer is of the 9-pin variety
>>and is attached to a port labelled "A".  (I only have a GW2K manual
>>which doesn't indicate it, but I believe that is the COM1 port.)
>
>Sounds about right

That's what I was thinking.

>>I own 2 computers each with its own APC Back-UPS PRO 650 device
>>and its own cable.  (The serial numbers on the cables are slightly
>>different.)  After I couldn't get the first UPS to work, I dragged the other
>>one off the other machine (with its cable) and attached it and tried to
>>get it to work but ran into the same result.  This leads me to believe that
>>the problem is not hardware related, unless the port on the motherboard
>>is fried.
>

>apcupsd runs fine under FreeBSD, what are the two cables that you
>have?  You can only use cable type 940-0095A with a BackUPS PRO, and you
>should use either the backupspro or newbackupspro as the UPSTYPE

I purchased one the UPS about a month ago, the other is several
years old.  The older one has a 940-0095A cable.  The newer one
has a 940-0095B cable.  The cables came with the UPSs when I purchased
them from APC.

Yes, I'm using "backupspro" as the UPSTYPE and 940-0095A as the
UPSCABLE.  I'm also using /var/spool/lock as the for the serial
port lock file.  And, again, using /dev/cuaa0 as the device
for the serial port.

>>I have tried other things with apcupsd but have had no luck.
>>Apcupsd has to be configured (/etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf) and I may not be
>>configuring it correctly.  I could post the rest of my tests but I'll
>>stop here and see if anybody has any ideas.
>
>Make sure you follow the Testing APCUPSD chapter of the manual.  It is
>reproduced online at http://www.apcupsd.com

Okay.  I'll try to get that to work.
Is there a way in FreeBSD to probe the port to make sure
that the hardware is working?

I checked the boot messages and that IRQ comes up.

>If you still want to try another UPS monitor, try NUT from
>http://www.exploits.org/nut/  I haven't used it, but it's pretty popular.

Thanks, I'll probably end up trying that too if I can't
get this one to work.

Thanks,
Joe

>Cheers,
>Rob
>

>--
>Wake up, the whole world's gone ...
>
>[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
>This is random quote 1122 of a collection of 1253

   Dr. Joseph A. Bentley
   Professor of Chemistry
   Dept. of Physical Sciences        Phone: (662) 846-4482
   P.O. Box 3255-DSU                 FAX:   (662) 846-4486
   Delta State University            E-mail: jbentley@dsu.deltast.edu
   Cleveland, MS  38733              E-mail: zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu

        "It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail."

                                    -- Gore Vidal