Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:39:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <k.#nojunk#keithley@opengroup.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-980311-SNAP "upgrade" post mortem

> First I tried to upgrade, but the new snap didn't like the superblocks
> in my filesystems. Nothing in any of the .TXT files warned me about
> this. The only apparent solution was to newfs all my partitions. After

That's bizarre - I've heard of no one else with such a problem.  Are you
positive it was the superblocks it didn't like?

> like my file systems. They'd fsck'ed fine under the prior snap. Oh, BTW,
> the new snap could mount the old / (as root_device, read-only) just
> fine, but when it tried to remount it read-write then it would fail.

And this was most definitely *not* the problem described in:

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT ?

Just making sure here before we go off on a chase.

> But at boot time I get this message:
>
>   /kernel: changing root device to wd0s3a

You must have upgraded to a 3.0 SNAP that's still not entirely current.
This cosmetic bogon was fixed last month sometime.

> Third, on all prior releases, including the prior snap, I could set my
> default route at boot in /etc/rc.network (route add default
> 130.105.39.20) and it would "stick" until such time as I brought up my
> ppp link. This doesn't work anymore. Should it? It is/was convenient.

I don't think it should, if it's the tun0 device you're really talking
about here.

> Using "add default HISADDR" in the ppp.conf doesn't work either as it
> tries to set it before the link is up, and that's no better than setting
> it at boot.

Which is why you put it in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

			   Jordan