Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:10:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@citrus.infi.net>
To:        Joe Karthauser <jlk@pavilion.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: memory in freebsd

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Joe Karthauser wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I hope that someone's got the time to help me with this one ;)

Sure.  It's been a quite day, so far.

> I've now bought a pentium 200 pro with 82mb of ram (2 x 32mb in bank0 and
> 2 x 8mb in bank 1) which I'm using with the original disks.  The machine
> runs fine, but the OS only recognises 64 mb of ram! ;(

>From /sys/i386/conf/LINT

# MAXMEM specifies the amount of RAM on the machine; if this is not
# specified, FreeBSD will read the amount of memory from the CMOS RAM,
# so the amount of memory will be limited to 64MB or 16MB depending on
# the BIOS.  The amount is in kilobytes, so for a machine with 128MB of
# RAM, it would be 131072 (128 * 1024).
#

[snip]

options		"MAXMEM=(128*1024)"

> I've got 2.1.5 on CD and am tempted to start again with this release.
> If I do this will I get the whole 82mb of ram available?

Only if you tell the kernel that it's there. :)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD