Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 00:32:00 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@brizzie.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Eric M Logan <ericmlogan@mediaone.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: about gftp...

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 04:55:51PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> If you don't care about the reason why it's marked broken, then just
> uncomment the #FORBIDDEN line and build it.
>=20
> We disable ports with security holes so people don't install them by
> default without knowing the consequences.
>=20
> Unfortunately its rarely as simple as that ... more often than not the
> problem involves missing libraries or incompatible dependencies.
> Compiling from source usually works without obvious problems, but
> that seems a bit of an overkill

Doug, I really have no idea what you're talking about in relation to
the poster's original question (reminder: gftp was disabled (by me)
for security reasons.  If you re-enable it, it will build fine.  The
same goes for ALL ports which are disabled for security reasons).

I'm also baffled by how you can make those authoritative claims about
the ports collection.  Where is your evidence?  I see three PRs from
you about "broken" ports.  I just checked one (p5-Net-SSLeay) and
found that the port is not broken - it installs fine on my machine.  I
don't know what you're doing wrong or what is broken on your machine,
but it's more than a little annoying that you keep making these wild
sweeping statements ("more often than not", "rarely", ...) and laying
blame where it's not due.

Kris

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--