Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:25:27 +0100
From:      "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net/samba-libsmbclient SAMBA_PORT= -> SAMBA_PORT?=

Hi!

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:46 AM, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:

> Could you please change the SAMBA_PORT= directive in samba-libsmbclient to
> SAMBA_PORT?= samba34 so it can be overridden by make.conf or command line ?

No, I believe it's a bad idea.

> There is probably some bad magic that will happen on a machine with samba35
> installed and libsmbclient34 and I would like to stay as close as I can to
> using the same version of samba that's installed and making the above
> corrections would still allow for the current functionality to be kept while
> allowing an override.

The flexibility in the base port definition is done to ease my life,
as a maintainer,
not to easily switch between the versions.

Code wise libsmbclient in 34 and 35 should be the same, as the library
isn't actively developed
and stable. I don't want people to recompile firefox, for example,
cause  version of
Samba have been bumped again - there is no real need for this. Another story
is that it's hard to guaranty that that between 34, 35 and 36 version
the packaging list
of the port will remain the same.

> Specifically I would like to stay away from having to edit anything in the
> ports structure Makefiles as those changes would not be static across port
> snaps.

Regards,
Timur.