Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:24:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        nadav@barcode.co.il (Nadav Eiron)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <whitmores@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD

 % My Name is TSgt Shannon Whitmore, I'm in the US Air Force and attending
 % school in computer operations.  The curriculum involves UNIX.  I was
 % looking on the wbe for info and anything else I could find to further my
 % UNIX experience, and I found your site..great by the way...anyway this
 % is my question.
 %
 % I have down loadied the boot disk and would like to download the
 % operating system..I've read all your info pertaining to pre install

Oh no!  You read the documentation!  Now you're doomed to success for
the rest of your life!  ;^)

 % ext.. I booted from the boot disk and started installation, I was going
 % to install via the FTP, how ever it only allows COMM1 or 2 and My modem
 % is on COMM4,  I do not have the documentation for my modem to change the

Actually, you *can* change these settings.  If you boot the FreeBSD
kernel on the floppy with the -c flag, you will be presented with a
'boot configuration' screen on which you can change settings for any
device.  You'll need to change the I/O address for sio1 to be the com4
address (I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.)  If you
use the 'visual' display in the configuration editor, the screen you
are presented with is fairly self-explanatory.

 % jumpers for any other comm ports..So I was going to D/L using WsFtp,
 % however I have no Idea by looking through the site what I need to D/L..I
 % wanted the basic operating system with the X-windows System, and allow
 % adminstration of the system.  Could you please tell me which directories
 % and files if possible I need to D/.L from to obtain what I want.  I
 % would greatly appreciate it.

Nadav Eiron sagely replied:
> The absolute minimum is the bin directory. You are strongly advised to
> add manpages and src/ssys* (or src in its entirety if you want it). XFree
> is the complete X distribution and comes in its own directory. Yoy can
> D/L all of the above (using Binary mode) to a DOS partition and follow
> the instructions for a DOS partition installation.

You may find this an easier route to take; I've never really liked
using the FTP install over a dial-up.  Fortunately, I can just plug a
computer into the network at work and FTP install at T1 speeds.  ;^)