Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:16:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @Home Server Scanner?

You aren't the only one who's swearing at it. 8{)

@Home had so many folks (users and cable companies) with security holes
installed (esp broken default WinGate settings!) that it reached critical
mass. When threatened with a UDP (UseNet Death Penalty where their news
peers would disconnect from them), they suddenly had a scanner working and
were cleaning up shop with a *big* mop. A lot of local cable companies had
NNTP proxies that were wide open - meaning zero-admin for them, but open
relays for spamming.

Various other holes have been exploited for DDoS purposes. Think of all
those Windows/Linux/etc machines out there with security holes, constant
decent connection, and eternal power as a Matrix for running a DDoS
simulation or DES keyspace carve-up-and-crack... I've gotta watch
that movie again... (^_^)

I applaud their efforts to tighten their affiliates' infrastructures and
the great numbers of client machines. Now if we can get the DSL ISPs to
check once in a while or look for attacks, we'll all be better off. - Jy@