Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:42:16 -0400
From:      "Robert W. Rowe" <rrowe@winstar.com>
To:        dledford@redhat.com
Cc:        Jonathan Stimmel <jstimmel@taos.com>, "J. Alan Eldridge" <alane@wozzle.geeksrus.net>, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aha2930u2

Thank you very much for a comprehensive reply.

My problem is an on-the-motherboard aic7895 controller.  I have two SCSI3
disks on the wide channel A and two narrow devices, a CD-RW and a Zip
drive, on the 50-pin side.

As many people who have aic789x cards have complained, I have timing
problems.  The SCSI bus continually resets, etc.  I was unable to install
RH 6.0 without disconnecting the narrow devices.  With the narrow devices
attached, the installation sequence went off into limbo during the
disk-formatting phase.

The SCSI card (on the motherboard) boots up in this order, with everything
connected:

  Wide SCSI	Disk 0
  CD-RW	Disk 2
  Zip		Disk 5
  Wide SCSI	Disk 6

which Linux recognizes as /dev/sda, /dev/scd0, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.

However, when I removed the narrow devices so I could load RH 6.0, the
second wide SCSI, still ID'd as Disk 6, became /dev/sdb in Linux.  When
everything was loaded and I wanted to see if the timing problems still were
a factor, I plugged the narrow devices back in and turned on the machine.
The Zip drive came up as /dev/sdb and the second wide SCSI as /dev/sdc.
Naturally, Linux couldn't boot.

I have three options:

1.  Figure out how to get the zip drive to come up third in the SCSI disk
sequence and be /dev/sdc.  However, I will most likely still have timing
problems.

2.  I have an Adaptec ISA 1520 card.  If it will work, if I can figure out
how to get Linux to recognize it, put that in the machine and attach the
narrow devices to it.

3. Turn off the Adaptec 7895 and put in a Buslogic (or whatever they are
called now) card.

The 7895 has been a problem from the time I got the computer.  I have two
EIDE drives, one now used for Win95 and the other used for daily backup.  I
also have an ATAPI CD reader because I couldn't get the SCSI CD-RW to work
with the 7895.  When I had RH 5.2, I ran Linux off the smaller EIDE drive
and set up raid0 on two narrow SCSI fireballs.  Now I have RH 6.0 set up on
two IBM wide SCSI's, no raid.

I want to get narrow SCSI working because I want to be able to burn a CD
now and then, and because I want to put a SCSI scanner on the system.

Thanks.