Date:      Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:04:57 -0700
From:      secmgr <security@jim-liesl.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 as storage server with raid5?

Christian Brueffer wrote:

>>On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 12:18:57AM +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>>

>>In short, don't write gvinum off just yet. Documentation is around the
>>corner (as a result of a SoC project).
>>

>Actually gvinum(8) has been committed to CURRENT and RELENG_6 a couple
>of days ago.
>
>- Christian

Whatever you do, don't complain about it on this list, or you'll just be
told that if you really wanted raid, you should be running SCSI disks
and a raid adapter.  They may allow that 3ware does ok, but no ATA drive
should ever be relied on and even s/w raid on scsi is only for ignorant
lusers who are too cheap to do the "right thing".

Those who think I run to hyperbole need only visit the archives.  One
can only hope that gvinum actually works in 6 vs the buggy and
incomplete alpha code that shipped in 5.x.  Having a man page is nice,
but I'd rather have a raid 5 set that didn't panic the system and
corrupt the set when it lost a drive (and this with modern scsi drives
and adapter).  I'd strongly suggest anyone using GEOM raid to do some
fault insertion testing of their setup prior to actually relying on it.

jim