Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:48:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Andrew V. Stesin wrote:

> #
> # CC list trimmed a bit...
> #
> 	Thanks, sorry, I didn't mention.
>
> # > 	if the feature mentioned is "new" -- than -stable can't be
> # > 	officially called "stable" any more.  If it isn't -- why waste
> # > 	time of those great guys who are making FreeBSD?  Donate your
> # > 	own time to do testing if you want to get more
> # > 	features, isn't it Ok?
> #
> # The whole idea of this statement was quite simple I think - that the
> # core-team wouldn't waste their time on -stable, but would just suggest
> # that a given feature (I don't mean this kernel or userland patch or
> # other) should be brought over to -stable. After which the person (or
> # persons) would do it in their own time. The things wouldn't be new (but
> # already somewhat tested out in -current) and certainly nothing would be
> # commited before it has been tested out.
>
> 	No, I meant that anything more than a "simple bugfixes" as a
> 	post-release branch will take way more efforts from the men who
> 	are actually taking care of that source tree.  What for if nobody
> 	pays?  This isn't "fun", as many persons already mentioned.
>
> 	And if you, an me, and whoever else, overall -- more than a
> 	half of the FreeBSD user community, 2/3 probably -- will spend
> 	time on backporting features from -current to "stable", who on the
> 	Earth will do a thorough testing of -current itself?
> 	The overall progress of FreeBSD will be slowed down, 'cause
> 	no way for -current to become really stable and clean until "-stable"
> 	is alive.
>
> 	That's what I meant.

Sure. My approach is the "conservative" one. If that what I suggested
would be called a rule system, then there surely was a rule for the case
-stable didn't move on fast enough. And it will move fast enough only if
there are people *willing* to deal -stable. -stable can't and never will
replace -current (at least IMHO). But anything released surely should be
stable...

	Sander