Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:14:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, root@auselda.it, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Venting a little at Doug's expense.

In a previous message, Snob Art Genre said:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:
>

> > > BTW, don't expect the Compaq to work, they have known compatibility
> > > problems with FreeBSD.
> >
> > 3 Compaqs running just fine. 2 are DeskPro 2000, and one is an old
> > 486. While they weren't my first choice, they are what I got from
> > our purchasing (or put together from surplus).
> > Paul.
>
> Well, I tried to install FreeBSD on a Presario 7170 with no luck.  And
> Compaq's machines are terrible for other reasons.  When I opened this
> thing up I found out that the video card is built into the motherboard.
> Bleccchhh.  It also appears to be impossible, or at least difficult, to
> put the case back on after taking it off without breaking the power
> switch!

The Presario and the DeskPro are different beasts. While my DeskPro's do
have onboard video, which is an ok SVGA 'card', it is easy to disable and
use a real Video card.

My old 486 does have a switch that could get bumped off/on while tryig to
get the cover on, but the DeskPro doesn't have that problem. It's covers
are hard to get on or off unless the feet can get grip.

In general, you'll find that Compaq sells the Presario for home use, and
so probably cut corners to be competative on the Best Buy shelves. The
DeskPro is not a bad machine.

--
from the book of more-factual nursery rhymes (actually 2/93 Air&Space)

        Twinkle, twinkle, little pulsar,
        Now we know exactly what you are.
        Beaming radio waves at the speed of light
        In a magnetic field, you are so bright