Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:19:26 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@sanson.reyes.somos.net>
To:        "doc@FreeBSD.ORG" <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Structuring the Developer Handbook

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 01:34:55 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

>http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/developer-handbook/index.html (or /book.html
>if you want one big file) shows a very early cut at how the Developer
>Handbook might be structured.  It includes some content culled from the
>current Handbook.

So far the site seems more of an architectural "overview" than a
"developer's handbook". I think there are many basic pieces of
info which would be helpful on this site.

Some suggestions.

-Add a section of what comes with FreeBSD out of the Box. Yes
this should be common knowledge for someone who has been using
FreeBSD, but not for newcomers. In particular a reference to
look at the languages ports (or other relevant port categories)
would be very benefitial.

-Sections on creating ports and packages.

-Mention header files/make files which are used by programs when
compiling under FreeBSD. This is important in particular for
port developers.

-Do a quick overview of where sources reside, both userland and
Kernel.

-Explain how to submit enhancements and fixes.

-Talk about the CVS repository

-Pointer to CVSup on the current Handbook or pointer to the
Cvsup URL.

Some of these suggestions may not seem "techie" enough, but
getting to know the environment where one is going to program is
just as needed as having details about kernel, libraries and
such.