Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:01:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkb@best.com (Jan B. Koum)
Cc:        saten@shell.zebra.net, markd@Grizzly.COM, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD JVM crashes and burns in public...

> >> a very poor showing, but at least FreeBSD was considered worthy of being
> >> compared against Sun, microsoft and IBM...
> >>
> >>   http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-1998/jw-08-volanomark.html
> >

> >	Well, at least Linux earned some bad marks too...
>
> 	How is this suppose to us feel better?!?! Don't you understand that
> someone who has no clue and will read this article will thing that free
> software is crap? DON'T YOU? I'd rather have someone use Linux then
> Microsoft. Jeez... go read http://editorials.freshmeat.net/jordan980713/

It's not supposed to make you feel better.  It's supposed to make you
want to *do something* about the percieved problem.

The article URL was posted to the advocacy list -- no one here but
advocates.

What it *might* do is keep advocates from mindlessly advocating
an OS that won't meet someones needs simply because it is their
favorite OS.  It would be much worse to have someone recommend
FreeBSD (or Linux), and then have it fall on its butt in a very
spectacular and very public way.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---