Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 11:34:30 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   looking for vmware fm's

I've managed to install vmware and get it to execute debian from its own
partition, but have a few steps to go.  I'm sure most of this is rtfm
level, but I can't find much in the way of fm's . . .

the page and freebsdzine.org helped, but I don't know enough about
networking to get the rest of the way.

I currently have a debian file of /etc/networks/interfaces showing:

This is enough to telnet back and forth between freebsd and linux, and
if I manually type in the xauth codes, I can run an X application on my
freebsd display.

What I need out of vmware is to be able to run an X based debugger for
my linux fortran compiler--the compilers work under FreeBSD linux
emulation, as does the generated code,  but the debuggers fail.

Ideally, I could set up a command that would ssh into the virtual linux
machine, which would in some way mount my regular /home (nfs?  I note
that it happily mounts the live ufs filesystem, but I presume that this
is a Bad Idea (tm).

And it is painfully slow.  There are a slew of error messages of the
type

May 16 11:22:11 fac13 /kernel: /dev/vmmon: Vmx86_DestroyVM: unlocked pages: 119431, unlocked dirty pages: 83256

This is a P3/850, but the performance withing vmware is much slower
than on the 200mhz pentium it replaced.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail