Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:00:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PRCS (was Re: CVS Branches hits again!)

> How many of you are using CVS's client-server capabilities directly?  Is
> it enabled/encouraged on freebsd.org?

I'm using it at work quite a lot.  Would the client/server be limited to
unix, or would other OS's be able to participate somewhat easily?  (This
is one of the benefits of CVS/Perforce.)

> > > 2) recursive module semantics
> >
> > Pretty much unused.
>
> What I mean here, is that CVS basically versions a tree of directories
> and lets you name a module after various locations in the tree.

I know, and like I said, it's pretty much unused in my experience.  It's
not necessary for the most part IMHO.

> > > 3) developer notification services (mailing-list notification, for
> > >    example) and other command hooks (I want programmable extensions
> > >    for the purpose of implementing these and the stuff below).
> >
> > This is pretty much critical for FreeBSD, as well as many of the other
> > projects I use CVS for.  Having a 'log' trail is good, as well as
> > sending message to the developers.
>
> Right, I knew this would be a catch.  Were this the only catch, I would be
> happy to add in everything you need.

*grin*

> I neglected to give URLs for people to check it out.  Documentation,
> links, a tutorial on advanced uses of merge (for the version-control
> impaired) are at:
>
> 	http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/prcs.html
>
> and distributions are available directly from:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu/pub/prcs

Thanks Josh!

Nate