Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:44:21 +0000
From:      Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: order of source_dirs in cp(1)

On Thu Apr  5 12, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was doing
>
> $ cp -Rv 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 2 /mnt/osm
>
> and was surprised seeing that source_dir 17 was done before 16; the man
> page does not specify the order, but I was thinking it just goes through
> the list in the given order...
>
> Why this is done this way?

i can't remember the reason, but the question has been raised quite often.
try searching the archives. i think it had something to do with performance
or getting better disk locality, but i'm not sure. however people were argueing
whether copying the files in reverse order is really a benefit or not.

cheers.
alex