Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 06:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, jb@cimlogic.com.au, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floating point usage within the kernel - howto ?

> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > (and, last not least, robotics people tend to have a
> > lot of money just because their hardware costs so much :)
>
> If it is robotics, where is the double redundent safety implemented?
> Are they actually moving mass around?

What's your point here?

The rule we use for a fail-safe system is roughly:

Any detectable single point failure (undetectable failures can't
be discounted and you must design for multiple undetected faults
and a single detectable fault) must result in the system entering
its safe state within the fault tolerance time associated with the
failure.  The fault tolerance time is the smallest amount of time
that any hazard resulting from the fault can be tolerated.

A fail safe system could be implemented with FreeBSD.  You'd have
a small safety kernel, you'd have to have ways of demonstrating
that it was running when it was supposed to and doing what it was
supposed to, and you'd have to design the software/hardware/mechanics
appropriately.  I'm not saying this is easy or that I'd do it, but
there is nothing inherently stopping you, especially in a research
setting.

Consider building the contrived failsafe system of an elevator