Date:      Mon, 01 May 1995 01:39:01 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@lirmm.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new dynamic libraries from ports

> When a dynamic library is added (in the ldconfig's searching path),
> the library is not seen until ldconfig is rerun (because ld.so only
> search for libs in ld.so.hints). This is a problem when making some
> ports (e.g xv) that depend on libs (e.g libtiff and libjpeg).

This has come up before.  ldconfig needs two things:

1. An option for "refreshing" its internal path.
2. An option for adding a directory to that path.

In conversations with Satoshi, I've recommended that a new `-a' flag
be added.  If you give it no directories as args, it does the
`refresh' action.  Both options handled with one flag.  Adding a
directory that's already in the search list should also be handled
gracefully (essentially, "refresh this directory").  This would
allow people to put stuff like:

	@exec ldconfig -a ${PREFIX}/lib

In their packing lists or install rules.

The only problem is, I have no time to do this now.  Any takers?

						Jordan