Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 02:11:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Undisclosed Name <sysop_blast@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MD5 Checksum Weirdness

Undisclosed Name wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Humm, Could someone please tell me why I would be getting a
> different checksum each time I run /sbin/md5 on the same file? I
> am running 4.4 and have attemted to verify checksum on a few ISO
> iamges. One of which being 4.4-install.iso and the results are
> always wrong but to make matters worse each time I run md5 on the
> same file I get a different result?

Uhh... That's not good, if I understand correctly.

Are you re-downloading the file each time? Or is the same file staying
untouched on your local filesystem?

If it is the former, maybe you're having transfer wierdness (ASCII
mode, stream error, aborted download, etc), and MD5 is just doing its
job in telling you that something is wrong.

If it is the latter, run some tests... maybe your HD or controller is
flaky, or you've got something writing to that file, or evil gnomes
are secretly replacing your ISO bits with the latest greatest N'Sync
MP3s. Or maybe a GNU hacker has intercepted your transmission and is
injecting malicious GPL'd binary code into the gzip on the fly. (I
think the gnome theory makes the most sense, but all of these things
would definitely result in different MD5 sums).

- Ryan

> Thanks,
>
> M. Callihan
>
> P.S. Sorry for the HTML but it appears that hotsmell does not allow text
> anymore?

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon