Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 18:56:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive Viper not correctly identified.

Okay, I had to rebuild my kernel for another purpose so I looked
at the scsi code more carefully.  When the probe looks up to see
if the given device is in its "quirk" list, it compares three
things returned by the device:  manufacturer, model, and
revision.  For the Archive Viper, the quirk entry is:

  Manufacturer = ARCHIVE
  mOdel =        VIPER 150
  Revision =     *

I assumed the match would happen like this:

(bt0:6:0): "ARCHIVE VIPER 150  21247 -005" type 1 removable SCSI 1
            MMMMMMM OOOOOOOOO  RRRRRRRRRR

but it does NOT because the drive returns the information like:

(bt0:6:0): "ARCHIVE VIPER 150  21247 -005" type 1 removable SCSI 1
            MMMMMMM OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RRRR

which means the model field either has to have a wildcard or, be
more completely specified.  The big clue was the fact that the
three fields are fixed in length, and the revision field is only
four bytes.  The light went on in my head that the 21247 was in
the model field.  Without being more completely specified, or
wildcarded the quirk list entry will never match the drive.

The patch below fixes the problem.  If there are no objections,
I'll commit the change.

-john

== jfieber@indiana.edu ===========================================
== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================

*** scsiconf.c.orig	Tue May 28 14:46:08 1996
--- scsiconf.c	Tue May 28 19:08:45 1996
*** 276,282 ****
  		"st", SC_ONE_LU, 0, mode_archive2525
  	},
  	{
! 		T_SEQUENTIAL, T_SEQUENTIAL, T_REMOV, "ARCHIVE", "VIPER 150", "*",
  		"st", SC_ONE_LU, ST_Q_NEEDS_PAGE_0, mode_archive150
  	},
  	{