Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:13:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brian  <signal@shreve.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   ne2000 PCMCIA, does it work?

I am trying to install FreeBSD on a laptop that has a ne2000 PCMCIA card,
but I can't get FreeBSD to recognize the card.

I read that if you set the irq for ed0 to -1, it will use the soft
values........this is really what I need to do, since I really don't know
the io address or irq of the card, and there is no way to set that
information.  When FreeBSD install disk boots, and it prompts you to enter
irq, io base info for your hardware, it will not allow me to enter -1!!
In the book it says this is valid for ed0.

I also tried to install by using a serial link (null modem cable) to my
linux box, which DOES have a cdrom.  I nfs exported /cdrom world, the PPP
LCP negotiates on both ends, the interface comes up no errors, the routes
are added at both ends.  I can't ping the FreeBSD laptop however........I
did a tcpdump on the ppp interface from the linux machine, and I can see
my pings going out over it, but nothing returned.  I also didnt see any
nfs activity.

Does the minimal kernel of FreeBSD on the install floppy have simple tcp
services such as ping enabled?

It sounds like its routing, but it isn't, I work with enough routers to
know correct routing.

Brian

| Brian Feeny                | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638  |
| Systems Administrator      | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores,   |
| ShreveNet Inc.             |  USR Pilot  | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
| 89 CRX, Akimoto intake, DC |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/        |
| headers, Eurosport exhaust |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.3    |