Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 17:33:59 -0700
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux libraries/includes

I've seen recent discussions about the nature of linux emulation and how the    emulation looks for libraries under /compat/linux/usr/lib before checking in theusual places, like /usr/local/lib.

I have several questions and thoughts relating to this and linux ports.

1) Does the emulator also look for include files under /compat/linux?
2) Many linux ports do not place their files under /compat/linux.
	linux-netscape is one example.  Is that "proper"?
3) I created a port not long ago from a linux binary that also did not place
	any files under /compat/linux.  However, I've tried putting the
	libraries and includes there and it still works.  I assume it would
	be a good idea to change the port so that they go there.
4) How far should one go in putting files under /compat/linux?  Obviously it
	would be impractical to put *everything* there, such as executables,
	since for good reasons /compat/linux/usr/bin (for example) is not
	generally put in the search path.