Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:29:18 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "William W. Crook" <talos@ns4.tecinfo.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem on com 4

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 01:42:26PM -0600, William W. Crook wrote:

> > COM4 uses IRQ3 (shared with COM2) whereas the default IRQ for sio3 is
> > 9. Is this the problem?
>
> No, it's not PnP.  It's got jumpers that switch it from PnP to normal,
> that I presumably have in the right position (that guy I mentioned
> confirmed this).  I set sio3 for irq 3, recompiled and rebooted and bsd
> still isn't finding sio3.  Nothing is on com2 (that's where i used my
> external modem).  Should I disable com2 in the kernel?  Assuming that
> doesn't work, what should I look at next?

There's no need to keep rebuilding the kernel (as long as all the
sio's are enabled in the config file), just ``boot -c'' and change
the settings, or disable ports, there. e.g. this is what I need to
do to use my PnP sound card (I store the info in /kernel.config so
the settings automatically get added if I make a new kernel). I
need to set sio2 to IRQ 9, which is used by sio3 by default, so I
disable sio3, then set the IRQ for sio2 to 9

FreeBSD Kernel Configuration Utility - Version 1.1
Type "help" for help or "visual" to go to the visual
configuration interface (requires MGA/VGA display or
serial terminal capable of displaying ANSI graphics).
config> disable sio3
config> irq sio2 9
config> pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 port1 0x530 port2 0x388 port3 0x370
config> pnp 1 0 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5
config> quit

> Thanks.

 You're welcome