Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2022 11:19:24 -0400
From:      Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: a small report from the Amazon AWS world

--00000000000064ebd405e08ca65f

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-n65semc4zdkai

Boy, do some research

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 8:15 PM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> The Amazon EC2 experiment with FreeBSD 13.1 on aarch64 :
>
> Today I bit the bullet and trudged through the baffling config options
> on the Amazon AWS EC2 interface to get FreeBSD 13.1 up and running. I
> went with the r6gd.xlarge type instance which provides some mysterious
> four core config and 32GB of memory. There is also a 237 NVMe SSD in
> there but I had to search around to figure out where that was after the
> instance booted up.  I did not see any way to get at the console and do
> the installation myself because I would have gone pure ZFS. What I did
> get was a 32GB root device thing at /dev/nda0 and the blank SSD was the
> device /dev/nda1.
>
> Performance is not thrilling.  Nope.  I am still doing a few compute
> tests and also a file thrash on both the UFS and the ZFS filesystems but
> there is nothing to write home about thus far. What is far more scary
> about all this is the cost of network traffic which could go well past
> the four hundred USD a month mark on a halfway decent busy website. My
> calculations could be way off the mark however.
>
> Not sure what else to say but I am still running some baseline tests.
> Very happy to see the AMI instance offer exists for FreeBSD 13.1 on the
> aarch64 platform but I have no idea what I am getting for my money. Yet.
>
> Any questions ?
>
> --
> Dennis Clarke
> RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
> UNIX and Linux spoken
> GreyBeard and suspenders optional

--00000000000064ebd405e08ca65f

view-n65semc4zdkai">https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-n65semc4=
un 2, 2022 at 8:15 PM Dennis Clarke &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dclarke@blastwave=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,=
204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
The Amazon EC2 experiment with FreeBSD 13.1 on aarch64 :<br>
Today I bit the bullet and trudged through the baffling config options<br>
on the Amazon AWS EC2 interface to get FreeBSD 13.1 up and running. I<br>
went with the r6gd.xlarge type instance which provides some mysterious<br>
four core config and 32GB of memory. There is also a 237 NVMe SSD in<br>
there but I had to search around to figure out where that was after the<br>
instance booted up.=C2=A0 I did not see any way to get at the console and d=
o<br>
the installation myself because I would have gone pure ZFS. What I did<br>
get was a 32GB root device thing at /dev/nda0 and the blank SSD was the<br>
device /dev/nda1.<br>
Performance is not thrilling.=C2=A0 Nope.=C2=A0 I am still doing a few comp=
ute<br>
tests and also a file thrash on both the UFS and the ZFS filesystems but<br=

there is nothing to write home about thus far. What is far more scary<br>
about all this is the cost of network traffic which could go well past<br>
the four hundred USD a month mark on a halfway decent busy website. My<br>
calculations could be way off the mark however.<br>
Not sure what else to say but I am still running some baseline tests.<br>
Very happy to see the AMI instance offer exists for FreeBSD 13.1 on the<br>
aarch64 platform but I have no idea what I am getting for my money. Yet.<br=

Any questions ?<br>
-- <br>
Dennis Clarke<br>
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC<br>