Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:12:45 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

Roger Hardiman:
 |If we want to abstract away the OS dependant parts (the ioctls),
 |and write a new API, I suggest we follow the Video4Linux Version 2
 |API (V4L2). Bill, who devised it, gave it alot of thought and was
 |happy with a *BSD implementation.

As it is still a work-in-progress (and if it turns out that we are really
serious about adopting it), maybe we can sell him on calling it Video4Unix.

I'm a skeptic though.  It might be a positive move.  However, given all the
volitility in V4L1, and the fact that we won't be the major "market share"
customer of the API, FreeBSD driver writers (and thus custom TV app
writers) may find themselves following-the-pack implementing changes just
to track knee-jerk mods to the API made in the Linux camp.

Randall