Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 1995 00:30:58 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLB Disk Controllers

On Oct 8,  9:07, Bruce Evans wrote:
} >Yup, but your whole machine is affected by a PIO device.
}
} That's mainly because IDE PIO is slow, not because it's PIO.  The
} overhead for SCSI DMA is not insignificant.  For the BT455C, which
} has a DMA speed of up to 40MB/sec (I doubt that my bus can keep up
} with this), the overhead for reading from a Grand Prix at 5MB/sec
} seems to be about 27%.  This is hard to measure accurately.  I
} measured it by running a hog process in the background: on an idle
} system it took 7.58 sec (real) and while transferring it took 10.42
} sec.  7.58/10.42 = 73%.

Well, the machine is more severely affected by a PIO
device, than the CPU load indicates. The CPU must be
able to respond to data becoming available within a
very short time, or data may be lost. (Hmm, maybe the
larger buffers of current IDE drives make this a non-
issue ???)

Anyway, just a data point:

  http://www-itg.lbl.gov/ISS/performance.ps

contains SCSI controller performance data, and they
get 24.5MB/s simultaneously reading from 6 drives
connected to 3 NCR 53c810 controllers in pairs.

The system is reported to be 70% idle under that load
(it's a Pentium 100 with Triton chip set).

Another system seems to saturate its bus at 20MB/s
with no CPU idle time left. But since there is 25%
idle time reported reading 19MB/s from 5 drives, I
guess it's just a problem arbitrating for the PCI
bus in that system's SiS chip set.

Well, if the above 24.5MB/s at 30% CPU load number
is true, then you should be able to get some 60 to
70MB/s before other processes are locked out ...

STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160