Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:32:21 -0400
From:      "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 09:02:30AM -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, spork wrote:
> > Number of times sshd died: 0
>
> A common data point but there's also the shell that is spawned by sshd and
> applications spawned by the shell.  Any of those can hang a session
> too.  The most common problem I've seen is corrupt terminal definitions
> that no combination of setenv, tset and reset will fix.

Just a small data point as well, I've had sshd running on 4 different
machines I own as the ONLY way to get into them (no inetd running on any
of them), and guess what? I've never had a problem, ever in a sum-total
of 3 1/2 machine years.  Reliability is obviously not the reason to do
this.

> > If you really need a backup access method, get a console server :)
>
> Have that too but there are many situations where it's not feasible.
>
> The real issue, it seems to me, is consistency.  If ftp, telnet, rsh,
> rlogin, etc. run from inetd then sshd should also.  The original reason it
> wasn't is the key generation delay, which isn't an issue on anything
> faster than a 486/25.

Then we should run xntpd out of inetd, do you run httpd out of inetd?
:-) really, this is just silly... if at all possible ,get rid of inetd,
it's a huge problem as it is, and it will just wholesale eliminate all
the problems ;-) well, not all of themn, but a large chunk.

Chris