Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:54:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   box seizing up

I was trying to take a box that was running an old version of BSDi and
move it to FreeBSD current.  My first try was with the first CD I could
find, which was 3.2 (I have later ones, they're just deeper in the pile
than I cared to look for).

The box, after install, was kinda unstable, given to sudden lockups, and
the driver for the DNET card with the AX8841 in it would lock right up
when I tried it.  On reboot, with the older unfixed fsck, it would take
multiple reboots to recover from the lockups, so I shuttled (via floppy) a
kernel compiled under current (with the dc0 driver) and /bin and /sbin to
the new machine.

Now, excepting network, it's stable as a rock, but when I try use the
network card, it locks up about 1 second after the ifconfig.  Let me give
more details.  The dmesg part that's pertinent:

dc0: <ASIX AX88140A 10/100BaseTX> port 0x6100-0x617f mem
    0xf0201000-0xf020107f irq 12 at device 19.0 on pci0
dc0: Ethernet address: 00:80:ad:41:4a:95
miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
amphy0: <Am79C873 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
amphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I added a little reformatting, my mailer bends lines.  Anyhow, doing a
ifconfig -a gets me an entry for the dc0, so I tried setting the inet and
netmask.  The next second, each and every time (I've done this 4 times) it
locks up solid.  Before I do this, kldstat shows only the kernel loaded,
and my /modules comes from the same current as the kernel (I never run
kernel and user out of sync anyhow), so an out-of-sync kld being loaded
shouldn't, I think, cause a lockup.

Anyone know what the dmesg line that reads "amphy0" means?  I only have
ONE network card in there, that's an absolute fact.  The machine's pretty
bare, just scsi, vga, and network card (the cdrom's scsi).  One scsi disk,
one floppy.  And problems.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.