Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:25:51 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Davis <stargate@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email attachments

--IFrzt5yFNjsAZ17G

On Monday, 17 March 2003 at 22:25:12 -0600, Brian Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question.  Most of the emails on this list display
> text in the message body, but some have a blank body.
> Instead, they have attachments which contain the message
> text and the sender's PGP signature.  All of Greg Lehey's
> messages are like this.

Hmm, interesting.  I hadn't noticed that.

This appears to be the way PGP signing works.  The first attachment is
text/plain, and most MUAs show it by default, which is why I hadn't
noticed it before.

> I confess to using Outlook Express as my MUA.

Another black mark for Outlook Express.  I've just checked, and yes,
Outlook Express just displays (fictive) names for the attachments.  It
won't even "open" (display) them until you tell it what kind of
attachment it is, though the MIME type should tell it.  "Real" Outlook
doesn't have this problem, though it's difficult to use.  Maybe I'm
missing something there.

Broken quoting.

On Tuesday, 18 March 2003 at  6:05:29 -0600, Brian Davis wrote:
>>> I have a question.  Most of the emails on this list display
>>> text in the message body, but some have a blank body.
>>> Instead, they have attachments which contain the message
>>> text and the sender's PGP signature.  All of Greg Lehey's
>>> messages are like this.
>>
>> So what is your question?
>>
>> (Ok, ok - GUESSING what your question is; some mailers use MIME
>> encoding for the body of the message, as well as for any
>> attachments.  Other mailers treat any MIME-encoded data as an
>> attachment, even if it is text.  Hope this helps.)
>
> My question is, why would anyone intentionally send a message that
> requires others to open it with a text editor, especially since the
> message is in plain text anyway.

Good question.  That isn't necessary in this case, even with Outlook
Express.  Just tell it to "open" it.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.

--IFrzt5yFNjsAZ17G

--IFrzt5yFNjsAZ17G--