Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:06:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secondary IDE-PCI interface invisible

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Dann Lunsford wrote:

> Eric Lee Green wrote:
> > I had a similar problem. The problem is caused by FreeBSD adhering strictly to
> > the EIDE standard. Other operating systems, such as Linux and Windows 98, allow
> > misconfigured hard drives to still operate.

Maybe, but the driver has so many bugs detecting the slave that it's hard
to tell.  The most serious ones were for were for ATAPI slaves.  These were
fixed in 3.2 or a little earlier.

> > Removing the jumper on the WD made it accessible to FreeBSD, and all still runs
> > well even unto today.

> What's wierd is that enabling "options ATAPI" in the kernel also fixes
> (at least,

"options ATAPI" just happens to fix the driver (?) bug that unless ATAPI
is configured, the driver gives up early after probing only the master
registers if it finds nothing there.  Apparently, whether the slave
registers are visible when the master is selected depends on the jumper.
I forget what the ATA standard specifies.  Anyway, the problem was "fixed"
in -current by making the code controlled by the ATAPI option non-optional.

Bruce