Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 20:33:31 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Utilities and POSIX compliance....

Gary Kline wrote in message ID
<199605221823.LAA23578@athena.tera.com>:
> 		Before remembering the FSF's work, I hacked some
> 		of the BSD utilities into compiliance.  Then
> 		found that GNU has the majority of the utilities
> 		re-written.  The code ought to parallelize nicely,
> 		and even if not, having the POSIX compliance
> 		shouldn't cause any of functional degradation.
> 		(Speculation:: I haven't tested my GNU ports yet.)

The FreeBSD project wants to rely as little as possible on FSF code
(i.e. code under the GPL) because of commercial implications of having
the code in the release... That is why all the code which falls under
the GPL is in one directory in FreeBSD, so that if necessary you can
yank it out and then use it in an environment where releasing the
source to the system is not a viable option (for whatever reason).
Moving more of our code base to be under the GPL is not really
acceptable.

Gary