Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:19:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2GB ram system panicking every 40 minutes

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Phil Rosenthal wrote:

> Sorry about the html email before...
>
> Hello,
>
> I have 5 servers doing the exact same task running the exact same
> world/kernel all identically configured, except 3 of them are 1GB of ram, 2
> of them are 2GB of ram.
> the 2 running 2GB of ram randomly panic.
> However, there is no information getting dumped into /var/log/messages
> Is there anything I can do to figure out what is causing this?
> I have just set the option:
> options         MAXMEM="(1024*1024)"
> To try and make them stop crashing.
>
> The system appears to be stable after setting that option.
> The system has maybe 4 programs running that are very sendfile() intensive,
> with 60000 sockets open at any given moment and 1.9GB of the ram is to
> filesystem cache on average.

    Each socket is going to chew up 8KB of kernel memory or so, unless
you've altered the size of the send and receive buffers.  60,000
connections leads to ~500MB chewed up on the connections alone.  Throw
in enough other activity to exhaust memory in the kernel, and poof,
there you go.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)