Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:26:55 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Traiano Welcome <Traiano.Welcome@mtnbusiness.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell R210 II With PERC H200 Controllers

On 2/17/12 11:02 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> Hi Damien
>
>  Additional question:
>

> On 17/02/2012 11:14, "Damien Fleuriot" <ml@my.gd> wrote:
>
>> Sorry top post, posting from phone.
>>
>> 8.2-stable, 9.0-release, will post a link with a tutorial when I hit my
>> desk
>

> A lot of these Dell R210 II's ship with the S300 PERC. Does FreeBSD have
> support for this controller as well?

Regarding S300 I'm sorry, I wouldn't be able to tell, all I've been able
to test was H200.

So, now that I'm at work, a more detailed response regarding Dell r210
with Perc H200 raid controllers.

First of all, you're going to need the mps driver which is available in
8-STABLE (8.3-PRERELEASE), 9.0-RELEASE and 9-STABLE.

It is *not* available as per the stock 8.2-RELEASE iso image.

Second, you're going to need to disable the hardware raid so that your
disks actually appear to the OS, then create a software raid on them.

This is done by hitting Ctrl+R when asked to, during the machine's boot
process.

Third, there has been a recent update to mps by Kashyap DESAI as
published by Kenneth D. Merry:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2012-January/031358.html

The update is available on 8-STABLE and 9-STABLE and it might bring
hardware raid support for H200 controllers.

Here are 2 links to help you getting started:

- my quick drafted procedure: http://my.gd/bsd.htm
- which Ollivier Robert greatly improved:
http://www.keltia.net/howtos/freebsd-dedibox