Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:16:18 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        Muhammad Najib <najib@kdu.edu.my>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN using IPSec

>I've just install the latest -RELEASE of FreeBSD and cvsup to -STABLE.
>I've read through the documentation and found it kinda confusing, yet
>I've tried to do what's in the doc and failed. This is my intention:
>- setting up VPN connection between two organization located at
>different geographical area
>- at the same time allow Internet connectivity throughout the world
>using NAT
>
>I've been understood by the doc that I need to use the 'tunnel mode'
>instead to achieve this. I followed the documentation in the handbook
>(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ipsec.html) but failed. Here's the
>conf files:

	NAT - IPsec interaction will be very tricky, so I will not talk about
	that.

	The current KAME (origin of FreeBSD IPsec) implementation has some
	issue with AH tunnel.  In short, the receiving node will not
	consider packet tunnelled by AH tunnel as authentic (AH authenticates
	the outer packet, not the inner) and drop the packet if you set
	"require" policy for inbound.
	This will be corrected in future KAME releases.
	If you use ESP tunnel instead, your configuration should work fine.

itojun