Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:28:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Many SATA disks

We would like to build a FreeBSD machine ourselves with many (~15) SATA
drives, but NOT use a RAID controller. We want to be able to remove any
drive and connect it to an ordinary motherboard SATA port and mount the
filesystem using only the OS provided drivers and tools. I have built many
FreeBSD systems, but never used port multipliers and don't know which
controllers advertised as RAID controllers will support a plain pass-thru
mode. Would anyone like to make a suggestion from actual experience?

The system will be used solely for archiving, so performance is not
critical, but portability of the partitions to other systems is necessary.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER