Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:00:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ad0: WRITE command timeout

I found a couple messages in the freebsd-stable archives about this error,
but no real resolution...
I'm using freeBSD 4.3-STABLE (uname -a below).
FreeBSD steeltoe.niceboots.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Thu May
17 22:58:45 PDT 2001 root@steeltoe.niceboots.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

I occasionally get a dmesg that says:

ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done

I'm not sure what's causing it.
One of the messages in the archives said to do this and send the results:

sysctl -a hw.atamodes

Well, the results were huge, but this part appears to be the relevant
part:

hw.machine: i386
hw.model: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
hw.ncpu: 1
hw.byteorder: 1234
hw.physmem: 130170880
hw.usermem: 105263104
hw.pagesize: 4096
hw.floatingpoint: 1
hw.machine_arch: i386
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 0
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.atamodes: dma,---,pio,---,
hw.availpages: 31613

One guy said, "I had a similar problem with an old chipset which
did not support dma, so the controller (ata0) made a fallback to pio."
I'm afraid I'm a newbie tard and don't quite understand that and don't
know what FM to R.
I have an ASUS P5A motherboard that's supposed to support UDMA 33.  From
ASUS's web site:

2 x PCI Bus Master IDE ports (Support up to 4 IDE devices) Support:
PIO Mode 3 & 4 : 17MB/Sec. DMD Mode 2: 17MB/Sec. (Max.; The Actual
 Transfer Speed Depends On HD)
ATAPI IDE CD-ROM and LS-120 Supported
Ultra DMA/33 : 33MB/Sec.(Synchronous DMA Mode)

It has a 27GB IBM Deskstar HDD in it.
I believe these are the stats (don't have the model number handy, but I am
pretty sure it was a 7200RPM 27GB drive:

Rotational Speed- 7200 RPM
Interface - Ultra-ATA/66
Sustained data transfer rates - 22.9 to 13.8 MB/sec
Average seek time - 9.0 ms

Any ideas for me?  I do so hate unresolved errors.

And while we're at it, dmesg.{yesterday,today} don't appear to clear out
and rotate the way I'd expect them to.  I keep getting old partial dmesg
output e-mailed to me in my daily security output.  Is this a FAQ as well?
Thanks.
								-Tenebrae.