Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:45:05 +0000
From:      Y u r i <ure@home.com>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Kingston TurboChip 400 K6-II 400 Mhz. upgrade CPU?

Hello Bernie,

Monday, November 27, 2000, you wrote:

BD> I am contemplating buying a Kingston Turbochip 400 upgrade CPU (that is
BD> based on a K6-II 400 MHz. core), for a dual OS (Windows/FreeBSD) box
BD> that currently is running a K6 233 MHz. with an Abit PX5 motherboard
BD> (so that I don't have to reinstall Winblows, because of new motherboard
BD> hardware).

Sorry, not an answer to your question exactly, somewhat relevant info:

K6-3 333 is $29 at Fry's, if your mobo supports it. It's a
"non-official" one, AMD does not list it, but it's real AMD K6-III
chip with 3.5 multiplier on 95 MHZ bus. It does not sweat 100 Mhz at
all :) and is very stable at x4. I just moved my multi OS hard drive
from older 266 P-II on PD440FX - it was too expensive to expand old
EDO RAM. They have a bundle at Fry's: 100 bucks gets you Soyo mobo
SY-5EMA+V1.1 (still in production), the K6-3 333 and an ATX case with
250 W PSU, plus a heatsink with a fan. mobo has three RAM banks , each
accepts up to 256 MB sticks of SDRAM, high quality(?) 256 sticks are
154 locally and 128s are $64.   Mobo does three layered caching
automagically.

(high quality for me is when you can mix 128/100 and 256/133 sticks
with AMD being overclocked a bit and AGP is not sweating either)

--
Best regards,