Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:00:24 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        Craig Boston <cb@severious.net>, Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: noatime on / and /var too ?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 16:58 Craig Boston saw "Error reading FAT
table? Try SKINNY table?" And promptly said:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 03:17:09PM -0700, Gore Jarold wrote:
> > I know it won't change much since they are not busy
> > filesystems, but if there is no risk and no "best
> > practices" reason _not_ to do it, I might as well...

> I always set noatime on everything for years now and have never
> run into any problems with it.

> Unless you're specifically using atime for something (I think
> some news server software may use it), I can't think of a good
> reason to leave it enabled.

> Craig

I've not seen news software use that by default, but I do
definately run no atime on my news server.  Even though it's small
adding 100s to 1000s each day and expiring each night make it
really un-neccesary to retain the atimes on those.

I'd say that anything that gets a lot of access to many files,
and there is no modification to those - archival files, web files,
etc - that would be a good reason to turn on atime IMO.

I only use it on user file systems and not on / or /var.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com