Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 18:28:40 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Caleb R. Miller" <calebm@uspaceware.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a RTOS

Please expend a little effort formatting your messages; you are likely
to find people much more disposed to responding to them if you do this.

> Does anyone know of a FreeBSD port that supports RTOS functionality
> such as preemptive multitasking?

FreeBSD already supports preemtive multitasking.

> What I hoping for was a scheduler that
> would enforce time constraints on processes.

The current scheduler already enforces time constraints on processes.

>  For instance, I want to
> schedule some processes to be allowed to run 4 times/sec, some 2 times/
> sec and some once/sec.

If this is the sort of granularity you require, you can achieve this
with the current (10ms) scheduler granularity already.

>  The scheduler would let give the highest rate
> process time, then the next higher rate, and so on with the caveat that
> a process gets no more cpu time than it's scheduled for, i.e. if process
> A is scheduled for every 30 seconds and process B for every 15 seconds,
> if A is not done by the next 15 second interval it is preempted and B is
> allowed to run.

Whilst there are various realtime extensions to FreeBSD available and
under development, I don't think that any of them offer anything that
you require.  If you require more information on the topic before going
further, you may want to collect a book on the various Posix realtime
scheduling extensions, which are available for FreeBSD on an evaluation
basis, and which will be part of the 3.0 release Q4 this year.