Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 08:38:15 -0800
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>
To:        Jason Boerner <chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install Problem With SCSI Controller...

> We just purchased a DEC PC XL 590 and picked up a copy of the January 94
> CD release from Walnut Creek.
> When I attempt to boot from boot.flp I recieve the following message:
> fd0c: hard error reading Fsbn 16 of 16-31
> (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 4<sec_not_fnd> ST2 10<wrong_cl> cyl 0 hd 0 sec 17)
> Panic...
>
> At which point the system re-boots.

You have a bad spot on the floppy.  Get a new floppy disk and *make* sure
it doesn't have any bad spots on it when you format it.  Then, when
you rawrite it to the floppy you should have no problems.

> This machine would appear to have the SCSI controller integrated to the
> Motherboard.  However, it ships with drivers from NCR (For both DOS, NT,
> OS/2 and NCR SCO UNIX).

FreeBSD supports it w/out problems.  OSCS and I believe Jaye have run FreeBSD
on those boxes at MSU.

Nate