Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:51:45 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-update and kernels

Hi, doc folks. Can someone please take a look at section 23.2.3 of the =
handbook?

At multiple points in 23.2.3.1, and in the nextboot instructions, it =
tells users that the GENERIC kernel will be updated if it lives in =
/boot/GENERIC. AFAICT, freebsd-update will only update the GENERIC =
kernel if it lives in /boot/kernel, NOT /boot/GENERIC.

At best, running "nextboot -k GENERIC" after following the instructions =
will boot an old, non-updated kernel. At worst (i.e., if people follow =
the instructions given), they will attempt to boot a kernel that doesn't =
exist.

Shouldn't users be told to keep GENERIC in /boot/kernel, where =
freebsd-update will actually update it, and to install custom kernels =
into /boot/SOMENAME?

I'd suggest changing that nextboot line to be "nextboot -k kernel".

Then, I'd suggest replacing the first paragraph of 23.2.3.1 with =
something like this:

"""
Before using freebsd-update, ensure that a copy of the GENERIC kernel =
exists in /boot/GENERIC as a backup in case anything goes wrong.

freebsd-update will update the GENERIC kernel, but only if it is =
installed into /boot/kernel and only if it is completely unmodified. If =
a custom kernel has only been built once, [... etc]
"""

And in the last sentence of that section, change /boot/GENERIC to =
/boot/kernel.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger