Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:11:50 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let's use gcc-4.2, not 4.1 -- OpenMP

середа 13 грудень 2006 16:53, Scott Long написав:
> And I say that FreeBSD shouldn't be a beta-tester for new, experimental
> compiler features.

We don't have to start using OpenMP in the base and no port will be _forced_
to use it either. But having a compiler _capable of it_ will be very good.

Unless you deem the entire gcc-4.2 to be "new and experimental" (I think, 4.3
is such), your above-quoted argument is not valid.

> I also say that words and opinions are cheaper than actions.

Thank you very much, Scott, for this timely and uniquely insightful reminder.
This important point is almost never raised on the FreeBSD mailing lists,
which so often leads participants to think, that actions are cheaper than
words and opinions.

We are moving from gcc-3.x to gcc-4.1. Compared to _that_ move, the
difference between 4.1 and 4.2 is not very large. If you think otherwise --
please say so explicitly. Thank you.

	-mi