Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 01:39:24 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading texinfo

The old texinfo sources in the tree installed programs named
'texindex' and 'makedoc'.  The first is a tool which is only
useful for generating .dvi files from .texi files and shouldn't
see much use without the texi2dvi script which wasn't being
installed.  I don't see much reason to install this, since tex
isn't in the source tree.  The same goes for 'texi2dvi', it
won't see much use without tex installed either, and anyone
who installs tex is likely to get another copy of these utilities
anyway.  The program 'makedoc' appears to be a doc-string generator
for emacs and is in /usr/bin right now but has no man page, its
not even in the current version and I don't see anything using
this or the above utilities in the source tree.

I propose to delete the old texinfo sources, put new sources
in the contrib directory, change how /usr/share/info/dir is
installed (using install-info) and the bsd.info.mk rules, and
only install info, makeinfo, and instal-info into /usr/bin.

Again, I'll do the work (I'm partly done, in fact).

After that, to pursue my original goal, bsd.port.mk needs work
to encourage the installation of info files correctly (using
install-info).

Comments?

-josh