Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 21:01:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Problem with ed driver in 2.2.5

I have a 486/66 with an SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16 (SMC WD8013EPC).
It worked flawlessly with 2.1.7.1-RELEASE and 2.2.2-RELEASE.  When I
tried to do an FTP install of 2.2.5-RELEASE I kept getting machine
lockups after the installer logged in and starting downloading the
first tar file.  Following a suggestion from Doug White on -questions
I was able to get 2.2.5 installed by using the 2.2.2 boot floppy.  I
was then able to take a look at if_ed.c to see what was causing the
problem.  It seems sometime after 2.2.2 a change was made to turn on
the 0 wait state option on 16 bit cards.  This is what's causing the
lockup with my particular card.  If I remove the "| ED_WD_LAAR_0WS16"
from line 744 then all is well.  Does this point to a deficiency in
the ed driver or my hardware?

Thanks,
Phil Gilley
pgilley@metronet.com