Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 06:15:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        julian@TFS.COM (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: an invite to industrial users of Freebsd.

> real-time issues. (what-ever your definition of real-time
> 			might be this week)

I have a list of people interested in realtime issues.  There hasn't
been a mailing to it in about a year.  I'll hand all those names
over to Julian under separate copy;

I HUMBLY apologize to anyone who tried to send anything to that
list since last October, since I now realize that that list was
never installed on the new hda.com mail server that went on line
back then!

I'd like to have that list rehosted at freebsd.org where it gets
advertised and run by competent people (just to make it clear who
screws up here at hda.com: I set up and "maintain" this mail server
with occasional 4:30 AM work on it).  If anyone is willing to set
it up Julian now has the names.

I'm leaving this AM so I'm not going to see the responses to this
thread, but I'm going to (after the SCSI clean up with you, Julian,
which has to come first since though it ain't that interesting it
affects many more people) start in on the skeleton for the real
time extensions.  My initial plans are modest - add the recently
posted real time interface to rtprio (I cleared up the copyright
with the author), add rtprio aware resource allocation to the kernel
during the SCSI cleanup, and define and add the infrastructure for
adding the POSIX real time extensions (no-brainer infrastructure
- required header files, C stubs that return that something doesn't
work per POSIX, kernel compile options that disable the POSIX
functionality mechanistically derived from the POSIX facility test
macros so that it is modular and can be added in pieces, etc).

This with a few additions will especially help out the multimedia
group who will then have a standard way to do some of the sort of
things they want to do - they are really the biggest group interested
in real time sorts of stuff.

If you are interested in this get the latest POSIX spec which
includes the realtime extensions.  Then you multimedia folk can
drool over the direct and async I/O.

If anyone wants to actually contract with me to work on this I'll
give you a good rate (or on the SCSI cleanup, for that matter).

Please defer discussion of realtime until the new list is up.
Please no many page follow ups about kernel threads and MP support
when I talk about adding POSIX async I/O and user specified memory
range locking (you know who you are) - I'm a simple man.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936