Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:42:54 -0800
From:      "Scott Reese" <sreese@codysbooks.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems with FAM and KDE 2.2.1

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, so please
feel free to redirect me if necessary.

I'm running 4.4-stable as of about Oct. 30th and I've been trying to KDE
2.2.1 to work for the last couple of weeks without success.  So, one
last time, I cvsup'ed the ports tree, found there were some changes to
the kdebase2 Makefile and finally recompiled and reinstalled it.  Once
again no success.  I think my problem lies with FAM.  It does not seem
to be configured properly and I cannot for the life of me find *any*
documentation that tells me how to set up FAM so that KDE can use it!

Here are the symptoms:
- Whenever I start KDE, it hangs on the splash screen at "Initializing
System Services" and stays there until I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1

- Then the error, "kio (KDirWatch): Can't use FAM" comes up on the
screen

Given these symptoms, I decided to take fam out of my inetd.conf and
just start it manually.  After fam was supposedly running, I tried
starting KDE again and the same thing happened except the error message
for fam was different this time:

"Cannot Register Service: RPC Timed Out
 fam[84492] can't register with portmapper"

Portmap is running and I have the "sgi_fam" line in /etc/rpc.  What else
do I need to do to get fam working properly so that it won't hinder KDE
anymore?  I've searched the archives and google and I've seen that
others have had this issue, but there never seems to be an answer.  Not
to mention that finding any decent documentation on the configuration of
fam (i.e. how to make it work) is seemingly impossible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer because I am thoroughly
stumped...

-Scott