Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 12:50:15 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Eli Shauriki (Intl Agency)" <i-elis@microsoft.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Please advise...

>I have 8 pairs of FreeBSD client-server in my lab. I need to find out the
>installed FreeBSD version in order to know which machines I need to
upgrade.
>I spent our on your web site seeking answer, but no luck...
>Please tell me, how can I find such an information like which version is
>installed?

uname -v

You'll get an output similar to this:

    FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #17: Sun Dec 19 22:22:51 PST 1999
    root@pandora.home:/usr/src/sys/compile/PANDORA

Tells you version number, #of times you've compiled the kernel since
original installation, the date the kernel was compiled, who compiled it,
and what the compile directory was.

Of course, if you have an unaltered /etc/rc script, you also get most of
this info as part of the 'message of the day' whenever you login...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!