Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:29:26 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8 days until 2.2.5... Administrative notices.

Bill Fenner & Nate Williams thusly discussed rate averaging:

> >Can't you have it print the average throughput since it began, and
> >therefore the time-remaining since it began based on it's throughput so
> >far, rather than averaging it 25 second chunks?
>
> It would be less accurate, but perhaps that's what people want.

As one of the people, I'd like to suggest offering both rates. Possibly
with a command-line toggle option. I know software that gives only an
over-all rate irritates the dickens out of me and the only software
that's ever been impressive in this regard has shown both over-all rate
and "recent-chunk" rate.

2c.me

Sheldon.