Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:30:59 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 08:36:59AM -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> > Don't use Microsoft PPTP, see http://www.counterpane.com/.
> 	the problem is not with PPTP itself, but rather microsoft's
> inimitable style of implementing protocols.

BTW, as there seems to be a lot of interest in VPNs currently, and
I had a need for something that could run between my FreeBSD box
and a Linux box, I've written a small usermode IPSEC-compliant
tunnel when I became tired of the impressive number of non-compatible
hacks based on PPP, ssh, TCP, PPTP, you name it, while IPSEC clearly
will sweep all of this.

It's more of a proof-of-concept code for the moment (only fixed
keys: it lacks key negociation stuff), and it can't beat a kernel
implementation for performance, but it's easier to install, easier
to port to other systems (you only need some kind of a "tun" device),
easier to debug, easier to add weird crypto algorithms, easier to
export (the crypto is from the OpenSSL library), and last but not
least easier to distribute as a package external to the core OS.

I'm happily running it between several FreeBSD and Linux boxes to
setup tunnels to friends through my cable modem.

If anyone is interested, it can be found here. WARNING: it's really
experimental and the documentation is lacking, don't even bother
if you don't know how to setup a point to point link or how to add
the tun device to your kernel.

	http://www.enst.fr/~beyssac/tunip.tar.gz
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher